27. What is a job offer in Canada?
While a job offer is not necessary to successfully immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker, it can help. You can gain extra points with a job offer, and some programs require a job offer.
Job offer requirements vary by program. Some programs require the job offer to fall under certain occupations or industries.
The main way to immigrate to Canada as a skilled worker is under Express Entry. According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada, a job offer must meet this criteria to be eligible under Express Entry:
- full-time and not a seasonal role
- is a minimum of one year in duration
- is a job that is skilled and falls under type 0, A, or B in the National Occupational Classification (NOC)
- is a recent job offer
- is not a job offer from a diplomatic mission in Canada
Usually, a job offer needs to be supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), however some job offers are exempt from needing an LMIA.